Third and fourth grade students have been given book lists for Battle of the Books games which will take place next January, 2018. There is a list for 3rd grade and a list for 4th grade. The kids will have 2 teams in their grade and play against classmates on 3 separate occasions next January. Anyone wishing to participate will need to read 5 of the books and pass the AR tests (70% or better). These are wonderful children's books!
3rd grade list: 4th grade list:
1) Adventures of Laura and Jack (Wilder) 1) Beauty (Wallace)
2) Because of Winn Dixie (DiCammillo) 2) Bunnicula (Howe)
3) Cam Jansen Ghostly Mystery (Adler) 3) Cages (Kehret)
4) Case of Class Clown-JigSaw Jones (Preller)
5) Chocolate Touch (Catling) 4) Cricket in Times Square (Seldon)
6) Dog Who Stole Football Plays (Christopher) 5) Earthquake Terror (Kehret)
7) Flat Stanley (Brown) 6) Hatchet (Paulsen)
8) Freckle Juice (Blume) 7) Henry Huggins (Cleary)
9) Great Egyptian Grave Robbery (Pennypacker) 8) How to Steal a Dog (O'Connor)
10) Judy Moody (McDonald) 9) Lizzie at Last (Mills)
11) Just Grace (Harper) 10) Man Who Loved Clowns (Wood)
12) The Littles (Peterson) 11) My Side of the Mountain (George)
13) Nate the Great (Sharmat) 12) No Talking (Clement)
14) Number One Kid (Giff) 13) Old Willis Place (Hahn)
15) Rag Coat (Mills) 14) One-Handed Catch (Auch)
16) Stone Fox (Gardiner) 15) Way Down Deep (White)
17) Stories Julian Tells (Cameron)
Find the new list of 20 titles in Mrs. Meng's "Document" file. Students will participate in 4 different meets this year in April and May, 2018. Ask Ms Weber or Mrs. Tetrick how to get on a team. It's great fun!
Check on the internet to see if a book has an AR test and the number of points. Simply go to: arbookfind.com. You will get a summary of the story too!
*Read a book to me!*
mycapstonelibrary.com (user name, stpatrickcs password, school)
Click "St Pat Crusader"
Go to "Circulation"
Type his/her last name
Check your progress in AR-----reaching your goal or points for the year!
Go to https://hosted345.renlearn.com/199980/HomeConnect/
You will also find a list of the books you have tested on already.
It's time to start reading to make it to the YMCA field trip next May! Anyone with enough AR points on May 9, 2016, will get to go on a special field trip which includes activities at the YMCA, lunch at Freddy's, and ice cream for dessert! This trip will be taken sometime during the last weeks of school. It is a day off of school too! This takes a lot of reading and requires discipline! Listed below is the required points by grade and a breakdown of weekly or monthly points needed to make it by May.
AR Trip to YMCA---Points Needed:
1st---100 pts.----about 3 points per week, 13 pts a month
2nd---150 pts.----about 4.5 points per week, 19 pts a month
3rd---200 pts.----about 6 points per week, 25 pts a month
4th---250 pts.----about 7.5 points per week, 32 pts a month
5th---300 pts.----about 9 points per week, 38 pts a month
6th---350 pts.----about 10.5 points per week, 44 pts a month
7th---375 pts.----about 11.5 points per week, 47 pts a month
8th---400 pts.----about 12.5 points per week, 50 pts a month
WONDER WHETHER A BOOK IS AN AR BOOK?
Has your student ever asked you whether a book is an AR Book? Well, now there is a way to find out from home, anytime, 24/7. Just go on the internet to www.arbookfind.com. It will let you know if the book in question is an AR book. If it is, we have the test. Students get so disappointed when they think they have read an AR book and discover it is not. This is a great way to take all of the guesswork out.